What Music Moves You ?

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Music Moves You ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Music Moves You ?

Post by Ian_C Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Commander Clint wrote:

Myself and a few of the guys went to see Steel Panther in Toronto at the Sound Academy, back in May.  I may have over indulged and only remember 1/2 the concert. cheeky

Was that this year? I saw them at the same venue in May of LAST year. Just awesome. I had seen clips of them live on youtube, and knew what to expect. They are true showmen as well as musicians. rockon

Oh, and FNM's War Pigs cover may be one of the best song covers of all time.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Yep. it was this year. Sounds like it's an annual event. Very Happy
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26790
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:40 pm

It must be, as I know they were there the year before I saw them too.

I would love to see them again. If they go next year, and we both go, we must at least say hi and share a beer or three. You have the latest CD, All You Can Eat? Some more great stuff again. Glory Hole is funny as hell.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 am

I have 3 albums in mp3 format.
-All You can Eat
-Balls Out
-Feel the Steel

Sounds like a plan. I know the guy's want to go again next year. But I'm not sure if my liver & lungs can take it again. lol! I swear I'm still recovering. cheeky
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 am

Cool. I have all three albums too, both mp3 and actual CD as well, plus a ton of non-album bonus tracks. Let's make it a plan. These days, it's me and my son that go to concerts, as the rest of my friends have moved on from that scene, and of course, my 13 year old can't get into that show due to age limits (which upsets him a lot - he's more into this music than most guys our age). Went with my brother-in-law last time, but he's become a poser and it was almost embarrassing having him there.

On to other things, what concerts have you guys been to? I'll list mine eventually, but it's a pretty big list....

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 am

Ian_C wrote: On to other things, what concerts have you guys been to?  I'll list mine eventually, but it's a pretty big list....

Ian

Oh damn , like you Ian , I have a pretty big list too ... better let some other guys go 1st while I have a think about it scratch
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:26 pm

No  R.I.P Scott Weiland No

chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10001
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I just heard about it on the radio. RIP Scott
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:55 pm

that's a bummer Chris Sad

RIP Scott
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Sad news indeed. RIP Scott!

cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:02 am

Okay I'll take the 1st go at listing who I have seen live

When I was 5 or 6 and still lived in Tennessee my parents took me to The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville affraid

I can remember The Oak Ridge Boys , Mel Tillis , Ronnie Millsap , Minnie Pearl and Dolly Parton all being there . I don't remember hating it then but I was a kid lol!

I came to my senses early in Jr High and started down the metal road so don't shoot me nanny

My 1st Metal shows were a local Enid Band called "Oliver Magnum" :

I actually helped them carry their shit in and set up the day they filmed this little video at our local piss ant TV studio . Curt (the drummer) was , and still is , one of my very best friends - he and his wife come over at Halloween every year to participate :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My 1st "big show" was when I was 16 - Anthrax / Metal Church with Oliver Magnum as the opening act cheers

other bands I can remember seeing (no particular order)

Dio
Megadeth
Wraithchild America
Ozzy
Alice In Chains
Mr Bungle
Tool (x5)
Tomahawk
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy
Cold
Sevendust (x2)
Mudvayne
Tricky
Primus
Pantera
Soulfly
Nothingface
Stompbox
Biohazard
Pearl Jam
L7
The Offspring
Buckethead (x3)
That 1 Guy (x2)
Frankenstein Brothers
Dub Trio
Fishbone (x2)
Drowning Pool
Ill Nino
Coal Chamber
Disturbed
Chevelle
Taproot
Slipknot
Lamb Of God
Five Finger Death Punch

We also went to see The Blue Man Group a few years back and when I saw NIN and Skinny Puppy the opener was The Jim Rose Circus  - do any of them count ?  cheeky

That's all I can think of at the moment but I am pretty sure I've seen a few more ... my memory is a little cloudy bong2

Last edited by ourchickenshack on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by PAT-AT Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:29 pm

My music tastes are all over the place. My iPod is my life line & I can go 60 days without hearing the same song twice, it took forever to do but it was worth it. Just off the top of my head (in no order): The Beatles, Self, Nirvana, System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, TOOL, Faith No More, Peeping Tom, Fantomas, Mr. bungle, Deadbolt, Diga le Planets, the Roots, Johnny Cash, Beastie Boys, Eminem, Wu-Tang Clan, Elliot Smith, the Who, Black Sabbath, The Eels, Ween, Fugazi, Minor Threat, the Misfits, Pantera, Van Halen (DLR era), slayer, guns n' roses, the Pixies, Metallica, the Features, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, the Cars, Rolling Stones, Queen, Radiohead, the Doors, the Kinks, the Clash, oasis, the Stone Roses, NIN & I'm sure a million more I can't think of at the moment. Like I said, all over the place! I refuse to be lumped into a genre Smile

Last edited by PAT-AT on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
PAT-AT
PAT-AT
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 75
Focus : Luke Skywalker & vintage plastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Love your list Pat cheers

What impresses me the most is so many of Mike Patton's bands are in there bowwing

It is a rarity to come across another Bungle fan but there's a good chance you and I are the only guys here who has even heard of Fantomas , much less like them yay

Did you by any chance see this very talented lady on America's Got Talent a few years back ?

My wife and I both fell in love with her immediately and her performances only got better as the season continued cheers

What was hilarious is when I first saw her I told Julie "Now this is a artist Mike Patton would love to work with cheers "

a couple months later I stumbled across this :

ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by PAT-AT Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Yeah I'm obsessed with Mike Patton! Have you heard Peeping Tom? Yet another of his bands. Can't wait to check out these videos, thanks for sharing them! Patton has also done some stuff with John Zorn which I cannot recommend enough.
PAT-AT
PAT-AT
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm

I haven't had the fortune of seeing Peeping Tom live but I do own their cd and have seen quite a few of their videos on youtube cheers

I have been obsessed with Patton for quite some time and own just about every band he has played with (even guest vocals ) .

I have only seen Mr. Bungle and Tomahawk live however - I almost got to see Fantomas with Tool but right before they got to Oklahoma they changed the opening act to Tricky . Tricky was cool but it broke my heart that I didn't get to see Fantomas Sad

Do you have all the early Bungle self released demos - The Raging Wraith of The Easter Bunny  , O.U.8.1.8 , Goddammit ! I love America ... etc ?

I have burned cd copies of those if you don't - I can hook a brother up afro

Yes , I have quite a bit of the stuff Patton worked on with Zorn yay
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by PAT-AT Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Uhm yes, I will definitely take you up on that!! Many thanks James that's awesome. Surprisingly I have never seen Patton live. It's on my bucket list though. The best live show I have been to is hands down Nirvana. They were amazing live & the fire chief had to shut it down as no one would leave & they kept coming back out. I tried really hard to get backstage & failed...miserably. I did get backstage after a Quicksand/Helmet show & that was insane. I was only 17 at the time & was star struck. Another memorable concert was seeing the Roots & the Beastie Boys. I go separated from my friends & was literally at the front of the stage. Standing next to me...Al Jourgensen.
PAT-AT
PAT-AT
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by PAT-AT Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Just checked out the videos James, wow that was awesome & it gave me chills! Patton is so talented. You need to check out Self. Matt Mahaffey is a genius & literally a one man show. I call him the white Prince. He is from Murfreesboro, TN which is where I had my store & he was a customer. I sold him a few autographed Star Wars posters & his label is called Fresh Imperial. I would love to see Patton & Mahaffey collaborate on something, it would be the weirdest, most beautiful thing ever. I think Matt does a lot of soundtracks for Nickelodeon now. Super talented guy. I need to get my laptop fixed, all my music is on it. Thanks again for sharing those videos those were great!
PAT-AT
PAT-AT
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 am

PAT-AT wrote:Uhm yes, I will definitely take you up on that!! Many thanks James that's awesome. Surprisingly I have never seen Patton live. It's on my bucket list though. The best live show I have been to is hands down Nirvana. They were amazing live & the fire chief had to shut it down as no one would leave & they kept coming back out. I tried really hard to get backstage & failed...miserably. I did get backstage after a Quicksand/Helmet show & that was insane. I was only 17 at the time & was star struck. Another memorable concert was seeing the Roots & the Beastie Boys. I go separated from my friends & was literally at the front of the stage. Standing next to me...Al Jourgensen.

Cool , I would be glad to hook up another Patton fan with some obscure material cheers

I have a ton of really good quality live Bungle songs as well that were never on any of their releases like ...

A couple other rarities I have that you might like if you haven't heard them are :

C.A.D. (Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty) release called "Fingernails" - It was Maynard's band before Tool What a Face

Slipknot - Mate Feed Kill Repeat

Pantera (Before Phil) -

Metal Magic
Projects In The Jungle
I am the Night

and Power Metal - Phil's 1st time with Pantera and before they got big . I think they really didn't even like people to know about anything before Cowboy's From Hell lol!

BTW - I would have shat myself if I would have met Al Jourgensen. bowwing

I have a large Ministry collection and even own a copy of The Revolting Cocks cd : Linger Fickin' Good Twisted Evil
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:29 am

Well I am going to be kicked out of the cool dudes area and most likely shot lol, but me I like 50's and 60's and Country. (hides from possible GPS weapon strike lol)
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:35 am

arohk wrote:Well I am going to be kicked out of the cool dudes area and most likely shot lol, but me I like 50's and 60's and Country. (hides from possible GPS weapon strike lol)

You mean like Hank Williams Sr., Charley Pride, Hank Snow, Patsy Cline, that type of stuff?

I used to be a wedding DJ from 1988 to 1998, working for my father's company and he had been doing that since the 70's. I have been exposed to pretty much anything and everything, and while old country isn't at the top of my list, I appreciate it enough to be familiar with a number of songs. I won't turn anything off unless it's rap or hip hop. Ugh.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:37 am

arohk wrote: Well I am going to be kicked out of the cool dudes area and most likely shot lol, but me I like 50's and 60's and Country. (hides from possible GPS weapon strike lol)

What the hell Larry ? This whole site is the "Cool Dudes Area" - your here so that automatically means your one of the cool dudes afro

Despite your awful taste in music your still one hell of a cool dude  cheeky

Here's one for you and Bryan (I know he's a country boy too  What a Face )

ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:11 am

Alright now I have a new top hit, But of course if it weren't for Country you could never have a Hoe Down lol.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:42 am

Ian_C wrote:
arohk wrote:Well I am going to be kicked out of the cool dudes area and most likely shot lol, but me I like 50's and 60's and Country. (hides from possible GPS weapon strike lol)

You mean like Hank Williams Sr., Charley Pride, Hank Snow, Patsy Cline, that type of stuff?

I used to be a wedding DJ from 1988 to 1998, working for my father's company and he had been doing that since the 70's.  I have been exposed to pretty much anything and everything, and while old country isn't at the top of my list, I appreciate it enough to be familiar with a number of songs.  I won't turn anything off unless it's rap or hip hop.  Ugh.

Ian

Being a DJ must have been cool cheers

Rap / Hip Hop is my least favorite genre as well but I like some elements . I love stuff like Beastie Boys , Peeping Tom & Rage Against The Machine - certainly not pure rap but it crosses over What a Face

About the only Rap band that I really like is Public Enemy and that's mainly because the political statements that they had to say rockon

It also didn't hurt that they crossed over with my favorite "Thrash Metal" band Anthrax afro

I  really enjoyed Chuck D's strong clear vocals bananarock
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:15 am

ourchickenshack wrote:

Being a DJ must have been cool cheers

Rap / Hip Hop is my least favorite genre as well but I like some elements . I love stuff like Beastie Boys , Peeping Tom & Rage Against The Machine - certainly not pure rap but it crosses over What a Face

About the only Rap band that I really like is Public Enemy and that's mainly because the political statements that they had to say  rockon

It also didn't hurt that they crossed over with my favorite "Thrash Metal" band Anthrax afro

I  really enjoyed Chuck D's strong clear vocals bananarock

Being a wedding DJ sounds more glamorous than it is, unfortunately. The early years were fun, but the main reason I quit (really upsetting my father), was because there were just too many times you would run into entitled crowds, who wouldn't accept anything other than 'their' music all night long. It seemed for years, people understood if you had a large guest list filled with elderly family members, there would be a focus on older music like Big Band era swing music, Chuck Berry, and, yeah, Elvis. Younger crowds would get more current music. The whole object was to get as many people dancing as possible, so you cater the music to the crowd. Sounds easy, right? The last few years, around 1996-98, there were crowds where the older people would just cover their ears at anything beyond 1968, and the young people would just shake their heads and stay firmly on their asses at anything pre-1993. I can only imagine the crowds today. Actually, I witnessed one about a month ago. 300 people. The DJ decided that with a crowd 80% over 40 years old that he'd basically play what was hot at radio right now. I correctly predicted by 10 pm he'd have lost most of the guests, and sure enough, from about 10:30 until the end, there were at best a dozen old people who stayed - but he kept that group of about 20 girls in their 20's on the dance floor all night. Fucking amateur.

Anyway, rant over.

I do own License To Ill and the Sounds of Silence Greatest Hits by the Beastie Boys - but can only listen to maybe 8-9 songs total. Everything else gets skipped over. I don't know Peeping Tom, but Rage is also okay in smaller doses. I respect Tom Morello's style, but get bored of it quickly.

Public Enemy, of course there's the two collaberations with Anthrax that are cool, and I catch myself listening to Fight the Power sometimes. But that's about it. Maybe 2-3 songs by Run DMC. I can't recall a single other rap song I can listen to more than about 6 seconds of before I want to put a pistol in my own mouth and pull the trigger. shooting Hell, I can even put up with disco and boy/girl bands in very short doses.

I get a kick out of a CD I made that has nothing but cheesy 70's and 80's ballads from Air Supply, Neil Diamond, 10cc, etc., sticking into my car, then driving down the highway with the windows down and blaring that stuff at top volume while singing along in exaggerated expressions. I know most of the lyrics from my DJ days to all those songs, then just laugh my ass off at the looks I get from other drivers as they watch this guy with long hair and scruffy beard (you've seen the pic Bryan posted) singing along like a lounge singer. rockon I really fuck them up by switching it out minutes later for my mix CD with Slayer, Sepultura, and Slipknot, and pull up beside them again but now in full headbanging mode. jaw

Am I twisted? rofl

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum